[Vwoolf] "Jacob's Room" : crux #4 -- some progress with Mrs B.

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Tue May 26 09:12:47 EDT 2015

I have never heard of anyone eating bone-marrow, but, now that I’ve mentioned it to people, they say “Oh yes [of course]”.  However, ISTM that it is somewhat of a delicacy, presumably because there’s not much of it (you can have my portion, but I’m prepared to taste it to check whether I could just possibly get through it).  I have borrowed “Mrs Beeton” from next-door, and, while I was studying it, my neighbour came in with his smart phone, going on about -- bone-marrow, of course!  Anyway, it’s easier to use a hard copy of Mrs B. in conjunction with the internet, rather than either alone.
http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/10136/pg10136.html

Para. 644 gives the recipe for “Rib of Beef Bones (A Pretty Dish)”, 635 for “Boiled Marrow-Bones” (very informative), and 614 for “Broiled Beef Bones”:

614. INGREDIENTS.—The bones of ribs or sirloin; salt, pepper, and cayenne.

Mode.—Separate the bones, taking care that the meat on them is not too thick in any part; sprinkle them well with the above seasoning, and broil over a very clear fire. When nicely browned they are done; but do not allow them to blacken.

Surely this is what we would call spareribs (tho’ they are pork, aren’t they)?

If we turn to Mrs. B’s suggested dinners, I think we find marrow-bones for more special occasions and broiled bones for ordinary ones (cf. 1914, 1952, 1942, 1994, 2011, 2117, 2124).  Here’s para. 2124:

PLAIN FAMILY DINNERS FOR DECEMBER.
2122. Sunday.—1. Carrot soup. 2. Roast beef, horseradish sauce, vegetables. 3. Plum-pudding, mince pies.

2123. Monday.—1. Fried whitings, melted butter. 2. Rabbit pie, cold beef, mashed potatoes. 3. Plum-pudding cut in slices and warmed; apple tart.

2124. Tuesday.—1. Hashed beef and broiled bones, pork cutlets and tomata sauce; vegetables. 2. Baked lemon pudding.

2125. Wednesday.—1. Boiled neck of mutton and vegetables; the broth served first with a little pearl barley or rice boiled in it 2. Bakewell pudding.

2126. Thursday.—1. Roast leg of pork, apple sauce, vegetables. 2. Rice snowballs.

2127. Friday.—1. Soles à la Creme. 2. Cold pork and mashed potatoes, broiled rump-steaks and oyster sauce. 3. Rolled jam pudding.

2128. Saturday.—1. The remains of cold pork curried, dish of rice, mutton cutlets, and mashed potatoes. 2. Baked apple dumplings.

Broiled bones as an ordinary dish fits in with the opening scene in Milne’s “The Great Broxopp”: it seemed such a funny thing to have when you went out for a meal, says Nancy (the mistress of the house).  [Old “Punch” joke: “Do you realise, Mary, that I can write my name in the dust on this bureau?” “Lor, mum, now I never ‘ad no education meself.”]

Anyway, I’ve kindly been given 3 refs by contributors to the list, so I will check them out in the British Library next month, and hope that I can come to a final conclusion.  otherwise, we’ll never get the remaining 500 (are there?) notes done.

However, if I’m right about the (equivalent of) spareribs, that leaves the oddity of Jacob wanting “grilled bone” rather than “grilled bones”.  However, if I said I’d like a chop for dinner, I wouldn’t necessarily be restricting myself to just one.  Just as asking for “bacon and eggs” may mean that I only want one egg!

Stuart