[Vwoolf] "Jacob's Room": Crux #3

Andre Gerard grenpipiens at gmail.com
Tue May 12 18:36:47 EDT 2015

A number of loose, associative thoughts.  The passage about the three
elderly men belongs to a section which contains many elements which also
surface in *Mrs. Dalloway.*  For instance, there is the cathedral visit
(both St Paul's and Westminster in *Mrs. Dalloway*), exhilarating bus
rides, unknown lives brushing past each other, the consumption or nibbling
of the day, and the old woman singing.  In *Mrs. Dalloway* spiders and
spider thread recur several times, primarily as an image of tenuous
linkage, although there is also, more mysteriously, Whitehall  "skated over
by spiders."  Water spiders, perhaps?

Also, for Virginia, "three elderly men" had personal, almost mythic
significance.  In *Moments of Being* she describes the "three old
gentlemen" (Mr. Wolstenholme, C. B. Clarke, and Mr. Gibbs) as Dickensian
figures, and in the same passage she describes Justine Nonon, an old woman
who "walked like a spider," "sang in a hoarse cracked voice" and rode the
"red omnibus."  Virginia remembers her "as if she were a completely real
person, with nothing left out, like the three old men."

 As mythic creatures the old gentlemen may be re-gendered versions of the
Moirai, male versions of  Atropos, Lachesis and Clotho.