[Vwoolf] Bloomsday, Ulysses and Hogarth Press

Byrne, Anne (Soc & Pol) anne.byrne at nuigalway.ie
Tue Jun 16 09:10:18 EDT 2015

Its probably been asked before, but this being ‘Bloomsday’ and I in Molly’s native town, may I ask does anybody know more about who recommended Harriet Shaw Weaver to the Hogarth Press with a request to print Ulysses? Was it Roger Fry (Ricorso, Ellmann p443), TS Elliott (JamesJoyce.ie) or both? Shaw Weaver visits on 14 April 1918 and much later Virginia records in her diary (Vol 5, p352-353) ‘Then Joyce is dead--Joyce about a fortnight younger than I am. I remember Miss Weaver, in wool gloves, bringing Ulysses in type script to our tea table at Hogarth House. Roger I think sent her. Would we devote our lives to printing it? The indecent pages looked so incongruous: she was spinsterly, buttoned up’. Elsewhere I recall reading that Virginia mentions it was ‘Tom’ who sent Weaver but can’t find the source just now.

Thank you
Anne

******
Anne Byrne, Head of School, Political Science and Sociology
College of Arts, Social Sciences and Celtic Studies
National University of Ireland, Galway +353-91-493035
http://www.nuigalway.ie/our-research/people/political-science-and-sociology/annebyrne/
Vice President, Sociological Association of Ireland
http://sociology.ie