[Vwoolf] ‘The firm of Bell and Grant’ and the Famous Women Dinner Service

Diane Gillespie gillespie at pullman.com
Mon Jul 27 18:18:21 EDT 2015

Thanks for the article!  I reproduced the Virginia Woolf plate in The Sisters' Arts (1988, 1991), illustration 4.13 on p. 199 and discuss the plates briefly on p. 198.  I was able to see a number of the plates during the 1980s in the home of Lady Clark.  I reproduced the image with  Angelica Garnett's permission.  I suppose "deliriously camp" is relative, depending on one's definition of both words during a particular time period.  The definition doesn't really resonate with me.  The plates seem very much in line with Bloomsbury decorative work in general.

Diane

Diane F. Gillespie
Professor Emeritus of English
Washington State University