[Vwoolf] The Winifred Holtby Society and Event in Hull September 2015

kllevenback at att.net kllevenback at att.net
Mon Jul 13 15:02:26 EDT 2015

Dear Jane et al.--
You may well sight Winifred H., a noteworthy contemporary of VW, in the film version of Vera Brittain's Testament of Youth.
Cheers--Karen Levenback

     On Monday, July 13, 2015 1:41 PM, Jane Marie Garrity <jane.garrity at colorado.edu> wrote:

  Dear Woolfians,Those of you who attended "Virginia Woolf and Her Contemporaries" may be interested in this information below about an upcoming symposium to honor neglected writer and activist Winifred Holtby. While most of us in the states will not be able to travel to Hull for this one-day event, the organizer (Gill Fildes) has asked me to invite you to write to her and indicate your interest in joining a Winifred Holtby Society.
Gill has been working hard to relaunch the Holtby Society, but in order to seek funding from outside sources such as The Hull History Center and Somerville College, Oxford, she needs to demonstrate concrete membership numbers. If you are interested in supporting a Holtby Society, please contact Gill directly:  Gill Fildes <corbinhwood at talktalk.net>.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with Holtby's work, I would draw your attention to her 1924 novel The Crowded Street  (re-published by Persephone Books), her critical study of Virginia Woolf (1932), and her award winning 1936 novel, South Riding, still in print in the UK.  Holtby is a wonderful writer who deserves more recognition and academic attention, so thanks for considering this request.  Happy summer!Jane

Jane GarrityAssociate Chair for Undergraduate Studies
University of Colorado at Boulder
226 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0226Jane.Garrity at Colorado.Edu

Begin forwarded message: