[Vwoolf] Getting off in "The Voyage Out"

Roy roy at mantex.co.uk
Wed Dec 2 11:29:28 EST 2015

Rather annoyingly, I don't have my copy to hand

But the notes taken for my study guide record that the Dalloways are dropped
of somewhere in North Africa

Setting

The novel begins in London, then moves via a very convincing storm at sea to
Portugal, where the Dalloways join the ship. This part of the narrative is
quite credible, and is possibly based on a journey at sea Virginia Woolf
made to Portugal with her younger brother Adrian in 1905. But after the
Dalloways are dropped off (almost parenthetically) in North Africa the
location switches with virtually no transition to the fictitious Santa
Marina.

Dr Roy Johnson

www.mantex.co.uk