[Vwoolf] crowdsourcing a photograph

Emily Kopley emily.kopley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 09:42:45 EDT 2015

Julie and All,
  Tangential but related -- the photo of 'Orlando at the present time'
seems designed to illustrate this passage that approximates Orlando’s verse:

Let us go, then, exploring, this summer morning, when all are adoring the
plum blossom and the bee. And humming and hawing, let us ask of the
starling [ . . . ] what he may think on the brink of the dust bin, whence
he picks among the sticks combings of scullion’s hair. What’s life, we
ask, *leaning
on the farmyard gate;* Life, Life, Life! cries the bird, as if he had
heard. (199, Harcourt, ed. DiBattista)

VSW's *The Land *describes a character in the same pose as the questioning
Orlando:

. . . him *who leans upon the gate to stare*

And muse “How delicate in spring they be,

That mobled blossom and that wimpled tree (46 in VSW's 1926 *Collected
Poems*).

Incidentally, in the anthology *Another World Than This* (1945), VSW broke
the above *Orlando* passage into lines (following the example of Raymond
Mortimer, in his review of *Orlando*) and presented it as one of her
favorite poems.

So, Julie, it might be worth seeing if *The Land* has any sartorial