[Vwoolf] "Life in Squares" reaction

Mary Ellen Foley mefoleyuk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 05:14:30 EDT 2015

[post-second episode] It's beginning to bother me that all we see are the
points of crisis or sex. Okay, all narratives require dramatic tension, but
going for the obvious--She's overdosed! They're having sex!--is the easy
way out. There can be riveting drama in the way people choose to live in
the day-to-day, as Woolf's novels show; the programmes, alas, have no
subtlety.

Mary Ellen