[Vwoolf] attached list of London sites in WOolf's works

Elisa Sparks SPARKS at clemson.edu
Thu Apr 16 15:19:25 EDT 2015

I won’t swear to this being totally complete— but it’s a good start.

From: "sparks at clemson.edu<mailto:sparks at clemson.edu>" <sparks at clemson.edu<mailto:sparks at clemson.edu>>
Date: Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 3:15 PM
To: "vwoolf at lists.service.ohio-state.edu<mailto:vwoolf at lists.service.ohio-state.edu>" <vwoolf at lists.service.ohio-state.edu<mailto:vwoolf at lists.service.ohio-state.edu>>
Subject: Re: [Vwoolf] Virginia Woolf in London course?

Jane—
In 2012, I took a small group (5 girls) for two weeks.  You can see our itinerary and read my blogs at:  http://bloomingwoolf.blogspot.com/

I really recommend starting with a Big Bus trip around London on the first day— it orients everyone and keeps them awake and absorbing light rays without requiring a lot of physical exertion.
I was surprised at how much they enjoyed Carlyle’s House and Chelsea; we had read Night and Day, so it was fun chasing down locations.
If we’d had more time on the Dalloway Walk (and it hadn’t been freezing and pouring rain) I would have liked to walk all the way up to the zoo and maybe take the Regent’s canal boat around.  My students also really enjoyed the BL — they are English majors after all, and it was amazing to understand how the library works and to see the exhibits.
At the National Gallery, be sure to go to Boris Anrep’s mosaics and find Virginia as Clio.  They really enjoyed the NPG next door (which has a tea room on top with an utterly glorious view over Charing Cross)
We had a lovely day in Sussex—took an early train and sprang for a taxi to Monk’s House, which then came back at a stated time to take us to Charleston.  It takes forever to get around on the buses.
I think it is a good idea to give them at least one free day in London; mine chose to go to the Globe and to shop.
Hampton Court was loads of fun.
The visit to Richmond and Kew was a highlight.  We went to the Green and down to the river path as well as taking a bus to the lion’s gate at Kew.  Didn’t have time to take the boat back from Kew, but if it is a nice day— that’s a wonderful trip, seeing all the bridges.
Although the original buildings surrounding Clifford’s Inn were destroyed in the war, there is still a nice little hidden square to find tucked away back there.
The Cambridge trip was lots of fun, though it was a horrifically dismal day.  We got lost and missed the turning to Newnham (much hilarity all around) but found our way back and were admitted into the college ground by some current students who were just delightful.
The girls adored St. Ives.  Highlight of the trip.  Thought it was SO worth the long train ride, which they totally enjoyed as a great way to get a sense of British scenery.  It’s pretty easy and not that expensive to rent a boat to go out to the lighthouse.  Really fun as you can see from the girl’s blogs.

  1.  Arrival in London<http://bloomingwoolf.blogspot.com/2012/05/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html>  (big bus around town)

  1.  Houses and Parks<http://bloomingwoolf.blogspot.com/2012/05/houses-and-parks.html>  (Kensington Gardens, 22 Hyde Park Gate, V&A, Chelsea, carlyle’s House)

  1.  Day 3-- Dalloway Walk<http://bloomingwoolf.blogspot.com/2012/05/day-3-dalloway-walk.html> (Westminster to Regent’s Park, then BL)

  1.  Day 4— Bloomsbury<http://bloomingwoolf.blogspot.com/2012/05/day-4-bloomsbury.html> (bloomsbury Squares, British Museum, National Gallery, NPG)