[Vwoolf] Virginia Woolf in London course?

Anne Fernald fernald at fordham.edu
Thu Apr 16 14:05:11 EDT 2015

I was all set to teach a class on modern women writers in London, with a
strong Woolf component, but it didn't make enrollment.

Here's what I submitted for proposed excursions (sorry--some formatting
didn't translate, but I think you get the gist):

468 Transatlantic Women Modernists: LON ON
Summer 2015
nne Fernald
Fernald at fordham.edu     212/636-7613

Field trip rationale
rs. Dalloway walk in London: Virginia Woolf’s novel is set entirely in
London on a single
day. Characters hear Big Ben’s chime, sit in Regent’s Park, walk through
Bloomsbury, and
past the Cenotaph. Mrs. Dalloway window shops at Hatchard’s bookstore and
buys
flowers on Bond Street. Walking these streets while reading the novel will
give students a
powerful flavor of the book’s geography. s I’m completing an edition of
Mrs. Dalloway
for Cambridge University Press, I will lead the walk.
British Museum: Woolf and many other writers of the period composed their
works and
researched in the Reading Room of the old British Library, now preserved as
an exhibit
within the British Museum
Trip to Monks House & Charleston: Woolf’s country house is now a National
Trust Site. Her
sister, the painter Vanessa Bell’s home is a privately run site nearby.
Both are full of
valuable post-impressionist paintings by Bell and her contemporaries.
 visit to these
sites would give students a flavor of the city-and-country split that was
central to Woolf,
Bloomsbury, and many other modern women. s neither site is particularly
close to
public transportation, a private coach hire from London may be the most
convenient way
to travel. If this is not possible, we could take the train to Brighton—the
nearest
transportation hub—and hire transportation from there.
Persephone Books: Nicola Beauman’s small press is dedicated to republishing
popular fiction
from the period. We will be reading several of the press’s authors. The
shop itself, located
in Bloomsbury (and once the grocery store where Leonard and Virginia Woolf
shopped),
is a tribute to the combination of art and commerce that was central to
Bloomsbury.
feminist institution today, the Persephone Press is a living memorial to
the period we’re
studying. My hope is not simply to visit the shop but to persuade Beauman
herself, or one
of the press’s workers, to speak to our class about their enterprise.
King’s College, London: nna Snaith is the author of Modernist Voyages:
Colonial Wo en
Writers in London, 1890-1945 (2014), which includes a chapter on Una
Marson. She has
also done path-breaking archival research showing the extent of Virginia
Woolf’s
university-level education. s her books’ topic is so central to our own, a
visit with her
will be inspiring.
Cabinet War Rooms and Imperial War Museum: We end the term with Elizabeth
Bowen’s
he Heat of the Day, a book about the blitz. Visiting Churchill’s
underground
headquarters and what will be the newly renovated Imperial War Museum (with
new
galleries dedicated to both World Wars) will be invaluable to understanding
the context
of war in this period and women’s roles in both wars.

Field trip budget:
Mrs. Dalloway walk in London:  free
British Museum:    free
Trip to Monks House & Charleston:  Coach hire approx. £35/person;
Charleston House
£11/person; Monk’s House £5/person:  £510 (based on 10 students)
Persephone Books:  £100 honorarium for Nicola Beauman
King’s College, London: £100 honorarium for nna Snaith
Cabinet War Rooms: £14/student: £140 (based on 10 students)
Imperial War Museum: approx. £14/student: £140 (based on 10 students) (The
War Museum is
currently closed, undergoing major renovations in recognition of the
Centenary of World
War One. No information on fees is currently available.  joint ticket with
the Cabinet
War Rooms may be possible.)
Total: £990/$165  (based on £1=$1.67), based on a class of ten students

--
Anne E. Fernald
<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/faculty/english_faculty/anne_fernald_28537.asp>

Director of Writing/Composition at Lincoln Center,
Associate Professor of English
<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/index.asp>
and Women's Studies <http://www.fordham.edu/womens_studies>
Fordham University