[Vwoolf] Ivy Compton-Burnett

Jean Mallinson annaj at telus.net
Wed Apr 1 22:37:47 EDT 2015

Interesting: I just finished reading an interview with Hilary Mantel
(Paris Review 212)in which she says "Ivy Compton-Burnett is the love of
my life". She goes on to say "She's like nobody else. She's magic".  I
haven't read much of her work but I would say she is unlike any of the
three fiction writers you mention. She tells a story almost entirely
through dialogue, often without phrases introducing the speakers.  You
listen to her characters talk.
Jean Mallinson