[Vwoolf] What do you think these are?

Vandivere, Julie jvandive at bloomu.edu
Mon Sep 29 10:20:09 EDT 2014

The first edition of Orlando had this as one of its illustrations.  What do you think the little white circles are on the table?

I know the illustration was done at Knole by an unknown artist and is of Edward Sackville West "The Two Sons of Edward, 4th Earl of Dorset by Cornelius Nule in about 1610. In Orlando, the painting appears in black and white, but here I am including the colored one because I would love speculation on what the two white dots on the table are. They look like felt pads.  I know this might seem a bit silly, but I'm using the painting to make an argument.

They look like felt pads and might be to guard the glass on the telescope that is lying on the table. But I'd hate to make that argument without some input. Necco wafers?

[cid:31BB216F-6DD5-4BA5-93C2-7E5B7B77F260 at bucknell.edu]