[Vwoolf] New Yorker essay on VW and Wharton

ANNE Fernald [Staff/Faculty [A&S]] fernald at fordham.edu
Tue Sep 23 16:42:40 EDT 2014

Dear all,

I'm very interested to know about the letter from Stuart. The truth is,
this essay bugs me. I don't think Wharton is a huge influence on Woolf and
I am surprised at the level of speculation he permits himself.

But I'm getting grumpy in my dotage,

Best,

Anne

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 4:32 PM, Jeannette Smyth <
jeannette_smyth at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Thank you, the truth is mighty and it shall prevail!
> Jeannette Smyth
>

> On Sep 23, 2014, at 12:26 PM, Stuart N. Clarke <
> stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>   VW ack’d on 18 Nov 1920 the receipt of a copy of “The Age of Innocence”
> in an uncollected letter to Messrs Appleton & Co. (letter pub’d in the
> “Virginia Woolf Bulletin” (Jan. 2011)).  Stephen Barkway discusses VW’s
> published comments on Wharton – and Wharton’s irritation – in his
> accompanying note.
>
> Stuart

Anne E. Fernald
<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/faculty/english_faculty/anne_fernald_28537.asp>
Director of Writing/Composition at Lincoln Center,
Associate Professor of English
<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/index.asp>
and Women's Studies <http://www.fordham.edu/womens_studies>
Fordham University