[Vwoolf] Graduate students and Woolf conference

Diana Swanson dswanson at niu.edu
Thu Oct 23 18:50:19 EDT 2014

I agree that it works to treat graduate students' submissions in the same way as faculty members' and common readers' submissions. One thing that Pamela Caughie and I did do for the 2014 Chicago conference (submissions were reviewed anonymously by the conference committee, by the way, so the reviewers couldn't tell which proposals were by whom) was to double check that we had a good mix of faculty, independent scholar, common reader, and student presenters before acceptances and rejections were sent out. We found that we really didn't have to make many adjustments, if any, to the conference committee's rankings in order to get that mix which is so important to the Woolf conference.

I agree with Madelyn that it's a good idea to have a few separate sessions for undergraduates if you have a lot of them presenting or if the conference is linked to an undergrad course in which preparing and presenting a paper or a roundtable is required.
An approach that worked well for me was to teach a graduate seminar on Woolf the fall before the conference and to make writing a conference proposal and a conference length version of the research paper part of the requirements for the course. That way my students had conference proposals and papers prepared prior to the Woolf conference submission deadline. I'm proud to say that all my seminar students' papers were accepted through the anonymous review process--go NIU English grad students! :)

all the best,
Diana

Diana L. Swanson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Women's Studies & English
Faculty Associate of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Studies
Faculty Associate of Institute for the Study of the Environment, Sustainability, and Energy
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115
815-753-6611
dswanson at niu.edu
>>> "Detloff, Madelyn" <detlofmm at miamioh.edu> 10/23/2014 11:26 AM >>>
Some of the best papers I have seen at the Woolf Conference have been by graduate students, so I would agree to treat graduate submissions exactly as faculty and common reader submissions. I have also seen some awesome papers by undergraduates, but I agree that having a separate panel or two for them can make the process less intimidating.

Diana Royer and I had a graduate class linked to the 17th annual conference and the class + conference experience was a big success. Some of the class participants are on this listserv, so they can correct me if I am misrepresenting their experience.

best,

Madelyn