[Vwoolf] Graduate students and Woolf conference

ANNE Fernald [Staff/Faculty [A&S]] fernald at fordham.edu
Thu Oct 23 10:56:29 EDT 2014

It's an exceptional undergrad who can acquit her/himself well on a panel. I
think that's fine and, in fact, terrific: if s/he wants to apply in the
rank-blind CFP and gets in, all the better. However, a special panel or
stream for undergrads gives them a chance to taste the conference w/o too
much intimidation.

As for grad students, I think they should be treated like every other
professional.

I would add that in the 2009 conference, I tried to create a couple other
opportunities for grad students linked to the conference: a special course
that led into the conference, and I worked with grad students not only at
Fordham but in the area, who attended at a reduced rate in exchange for
helping work the tables, chair a session, escort a plenarist, etc. I think
this helping/organizing work was, in some cases, more valuable
professionalization than the paper alone--and in fact, several of the
people who helped me there have gone on to great things.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Barbara Green <bgreen at nd.edu> wrote:

> > Dear Julie,
>
> Liz Evans and I are organizing our graduate class this term so that we
> can help our students develop conference papers.  At least one member
> of our group intends to submit an abstract to the 2015 Woolf
> conference.  We'd be delighted if our student has a chance to
> experience the Woolf conference, since the community is so
> consistently generous toward graduate students.  It would be an
> excellent place for her to grow.
>
> Thank you, Julie, for giving us a chance to consider this important
> professionalization question.
>
> Best,
>
> Barbara
>
> Barbara Green
> Department of English
> University of Notre Dame
>

> > I would like the input of the Woolf community on a few things about the
> Woolf conference. The website and structure of the conference is beginning
> to come together, and I've purposely left a few things blank because I
> don't know how to proceed.
> >
> > Take a look at
> >
> > woolf.bloomu.edu
> >
> > You'll notice I have a separate section for high school and
> undergraduates. I took the organizational handbook at its word and used the
> conference as an opportunity to pull university and community together. The
> deans put in money for this because they (and I) want to make a statement
> about the importance of the humanities at our institution and in the
> community.
> >
> > The high school students, community members, and undergraduates will
> attend events like the theater performance, art opening, and plenaries, but
> will have sessions and discussion groups in a separate building from the
> academic conference on Saturday afternoon.
> >
> > The piece I can't figure out is graduate students. Do you feel the
> conference would be weakened or strengthened if I made a push for faculty
> to encourage and bring their graduate students? As I see it, the only
> disadvantage would be that the papers might not be the quality we want
> (some conferences have been taken over by graduate students).
> >
> > However, there are tremendous advantages. As I talk to faculty about
> conferences, many of them are under pressure to professionalize their
> graduate students and would like to include them. From listening to people,
> I believe we wold attract more professors if we let people know they could
> also bring their graduate students and have them present. But I don't want
> to put them in a separate session or area (as the undergraduates are).
> >
> > How do you think I should handle this?
> >
> > Thanks (I have another question), but I'll save that one for next week).
> >
> > Julie
> >

> > Julie Vandivere, Ph.D.
> > Professor of English
> > 119 Bakeless
> > Bloomsburg University
> > Bloomsburg, PA 17815
> >
> > jvandive at bloomu.edu

Anne E. Fernald
<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/faculty/english_faculty/anne_fernald_28537.asp>
Director of Writing/Composition at Lincoln Center,
Associate Professor of English
<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/index.asp>
and Women's Studies <http://www.fordham.edu/womens_studies>
Fordham University