[Vwoolf] Setting off

Martin, James j.martin at klett.de
Wed May 21 03:57:31 EDT 2014

This has indeed become a very interesting conversation about teaching literature.
I think it is important to re-read Mark's last sentence regarding the fact that teachers are also susceptible to being set off by what happens in (and outside of) the classroom.
I don't recall ever having a student react dramatically to literature that we read, but two others had difficulties with warm-up exercises. In one case, a very pious student refused to open up during freewriting (and enter the twilight state where our thoughts can spew forth onto the paper) because she was seriously afraid the devil might come in that moment and get her.
I like Janet's idea of giving the students the opportunity to share with the teacher any possible background issues that might hinder their full participation in class participation. It is very important to remember we're teaching people not material.
Jim Martin