[Vwoolf] Help with identifying a quote?

Meriah Lysistrata Crawford crawfordml at vcu.edu
Tue May 6 12:51:35 EDT 2014

Hi folks,

I found this quotation used as an epigraph in a memoir. It doesn't
indicate where it's from, except that it's by Woolf. I checked with the
author and she wasn't sure. Google and Google Books searches haven't
helped. I'm not a Woolf scholar, so I'm not sure if there are other
sources out there that might be more fruitful. I was hoping one of you
might either recognize it or point me in the right direction. (FWIW, I'm
working on a dissertation about second person, and the quotation would
be useful for me to use if I can find the source.)

"For beyond the difficulty of articulating yourself in the world there
remains the difficulty of being yourself."

Thanks!
Meriah...

Meriah Crawford
Assistant Professor