[Vwoolf] IVWS Business Meeting moments June 2014

International Virginia Woolf Society ivwsociety at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 19:57:46 EDT 2014

Dear Woolf ones,

attached in a gourmet font are my notes from the Business meeting of
the IVWS, which took place at 8 am June 8, 2014.  The conference was
amazing, and the camaraderie and collegiality will keep us all afloat,
we trust, for another year.  Thank you, Diana and Pamela!!!

In a more pedestrian font, below are the same notes:

Business Meeting (or Moments of Being) Notes
for the International Virginia Woolf Society
June 8, 2014 Chicago

	Near the end of the glorious Woolf Writing the World conference in
Chicago, at 8 a.m the morning after the banquet, we met to have our
business meeting.
Attending were:  Diane Gillespie, Leslie Kathleen Hankins, Julie
Vandivere, Alice Lowe, Catherine Hollis AnneMarie Bantzinger, Lois
Gilmore, Madelyn Detloff, Georgia Johnston, Lolly Ockerstom, Paula
Maggio, Elisa Kay Sparks & Judith Allen.

The  Business Meeting always generates amazing questions; some include:

“I haven’t heard from membership in ages and I’m sure I’m overdue.
What should I do?”

“Who did the interviews with Cecil Woolf at the conferences?  Are
there videos?”  (We would like to have copies of those for the
Archives, for our archivist, Karen Levenback)
	Some suggested that Suzanne Bellamy may have some.  Let’s track them
down.  Please let us know if you know anything about such
videos/tapes.

“How can we make sure Cecil Woolf & Jean Moorcroft Wilson can come next year?”

“With 3 upcoming conferences in the UK and Paris, what can we do to
work with that most effectively?”
  How can we make membership smoother for international members?  How
can we use those international venues to recruit?  How can we build up
travel monies to enable US students and adjuncts and others in need to
attend?   We would like to push to raise money.
[We discussed ways of having a sliding scale for those who could
contribute more].
One idea is to ask people to give birthday gifts for Virginia Woolf to
the travel fund.  Other ideas would be for established scholars to
give gifts of IVWS membership for their PhD candidates.  We had good
feedback from the practice we initiated this year for the MLA
dinner—paying a portion of the dinner fee for students and asking
senior scholars to treat their students if they wanted to.

More News:

The undergraduate essay contest in honor of Angelica Garnett is moving
ahead.  The winning entry will be published in the Miscellany, and the
prize is $250 with a year membership in the IVWS.  We are aiming to
advertise this and have the due date be Virginia Woolf’s Birthday with
the prize awarded in June.

Elisa Kay Sparks confessed to dropping the ball on finding out about
setting up the non-profit status & plans to call Ken to work on this
asap.  Julie Vandivere has developed a non-profit funding line for the
next conference travel fund, which is promising.

Julie Vandivere is fearlessly organizing the conference for next June
at Bloomburg University of Pennsylvania.  Virginia Woolf & Her Female
Contemporaries, the 25th annual International Conference on Virginia
Woolf will be June 4-7, 2015.  The website is woolf.bloomu.edu

LKH as president pleaded for volunteers to step forth to fill in key
gaps in the technological presence of the IVWS.  Madelyn Detloff &
Paula Maggio will work together to renovate the Facebook page and
Google site or incorporate more into Paula’s blog in some way.  Thank
you two very much for volunteering!  We may still work on a plan for a
digital officer in the future, but for now, we have key deferred
maintenance that we need to address.

We will be having elections for new officers in the foreseeable
future, though the plan of how to stagger the newbies is a bit vague
as yet.   Be thinking of wise choices,  & don’t be modest--include
yourselves!!

	It is such a joy to work with all of you in the IVWS.  I always tell
my colleagues that the IVWS and the VWoolf conferences are like family
reunions, only . . . . functional.
That’s the notes for now!  Please reply to all with any additional
points or omissions.
			Keep the party going!    Best, leslie
Leslie Kathleen Hankins
President