[Vwoolf] in the hands of the Lord

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Tue Jun 3 07:10:25 EDT 2014

Here's a basic question about a well-known passage from /To the
Lighthouse/. Passage first:

Often she found herself sitting and looking, sitting and looking, with
her work in her hands until she became the thing she looked at -- that
light, for example. And it would lift up on it some little phrase or
other which had been lying in her mind like that --"Children don't
forget, children don't forget" -- which she would repeat and begin
adding to it, It will end, it will end, she said. It will come, it will
come, when suddenly she added, We are in the hands of the Lord.
     But instantly she was annoyed with herself for saying that. Who had
said it? Not she; she had been trapped into saying something she did not
mean.
. . .
     What brought her to say that: "We are in the hands of the Lord?"
she wondered. The insincerity slipping in among the truths roused her,
annoyed her. She returned to her knitting again. How could any Lord have
made this world? she asked.

Now the question. Are we to assume that Mrs Ramsay actually speaks these
words out loud, or are the "saying" and the "asking" purely mental
operations? For a long while I have assumed that it is the latter, that
Mrs Ramsay speaks these words to herself, silently. But now I am less sure.

Any thoughts?

Jeremy H