[Vwoolf] Skye and Barra

Adolphe Haberer Adolphe.Haberer at univ-lyon2.fr
Sat Jul 5 11:53:31 EDT 2014

Dear Stuart,
I spent a week in Skye, in June 1957, rock climbing in the Cuillins, but I
never got to Barra.  What I know about Barra I owe to Louis MacNeice who
wrote *I Crossed the Minch *(published April 1938) after making two trips
to the Hebrides in 1937, one in the company of Nancy Sharp, the wife of
William Coldstream, the painter. The book contains a number of poems, the
best known being "Bagpipe Music". Another one is "Leaving Barra", a love
poem addressed to Nancy.
Now is it possible that Virginia Woolf's special interest in Barra, in June
1938, was in some way related to MacNeice's book? She knew his poetry, as
"The Leaning Tower" certainly shows.
Woolf had rain in Skye. I was luckier, camping on the beach in Glenbrittle,
with day after day of hot cloudless weather.
With all best
Ado

Ado Haberer
Université Lyon 2