[Vwoolf] Patronising -- or not?

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 5 05:27:00 EDT 2014

In “The Mausoleum Book”, Leslie Stephen remarks that Julia’s “little book ‘Notes from Sickrooms’ (1883) gives some of her experience” of nursing.
In Nov. 2012, I bought Gillian Fenwick’s "Leslie Stephen's Life in Letters: A Bibliographical Study" (http://gillianfenwick.com), which provoked me to put together physically my collection of Leslie Stephen’s works.  Of course, it is nowhere near complete.  However, the books are sitting in a row in front of me, 2’ 6” wide x 7” to 9” high.  They include 4 volumes of “Studies of a Biographer”, 3 volumes of “The English Utilitarians”, and 3 volumes of “Hours in a Library”.

On the other side of the barrier is the Puckerbrush ‘diplomatic’ edition of Mrs. Leslie Stephen’s Notes from Sick Rooms.  I can just see it: 4½” wide x 6 7/8” high, with 52 pp. of text.