[Vwoolf] A four-piece suit

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Tue Feb 25 10:59:38 EST 2014

Yes, the commentary suggests that the four-piece suit comment by Woolf implies not so much social exclusiveness but more super-correctness and repression on Eliot's part. However the commentary is Raine's, not Woolf's. I assume that Raine's source is the same one in Bell's book; there seems to be no alternative source given anywhere else, and the original postcard it seems has not survived.

Quentin Bell published a book of family photographs some years back I recall, and commented in a slightly embarrassed way about the lack of clothes worn by those photographed. So I remember anyway. And there are all those comments (from Leonard, I think) about clothes being a nightmare to Virginia. So her view of Eliot's sartorial ultra orthodoxy may contain a whiff of envy along with the mockery.

Jeremy