[Vwoolf] A four-piece suit

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Tue Feb 25 07:23:53 EST 2014

This is interesting, but also intriguing. Did the person who so
described Stevens know of Woolf's comment about Eliot, I wonder? It is
possible that two people made the same joke independently, but it seems
more likely that (as in the Hill review) Woolf is being quoted without
attribution. I am assuming that there really is no such thing as a
four-piece suit, but what do I know?

I am reminded of the skit:

     And this is good old Boston,
     The home of the bean and the cod,
     Where the Lowells talk only to Cabots,
     And the Cabots talk only to God.

In both cases you think of a measure of upper-crustedness, and then top it.

Jeremy H