[Vwoolf] four-piece suit

ruthwebb ruthwebb at talk21.com
Mon Feb 24 07:35:45 EST 2014

When I was writing my little biography for the British Library in the late 1990s, I couldn't find what I was (wrongly) convinced was the quotation: "had there been such a thing as a four-piece-suit, T S Eliot would have worn it" for the caption next to the snap of him that I used (on page 59).  Instead, I eschewed quotation marks and wrote, "T S Eliot, of whom a friend once remarked that his clothes were English but his underclothes were American'.  How very SMART he looks in that particular three-piece suit, and HOW TIDY his hair.  There is, however, a hint - in that slightly raised right eyebrow of his - of his thinking "I know what you're thinking and I don't altogether approve."  Sorry, Tom.

Ruth Webb
VWSGB Vice-Chair