[Vwoolf] four-piece suit

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Mon Feb 24 05:32:22 EST 2014

In the /London Review of Books/ for 20 February 2014 Colin Burrow has a
(good I think) review of Geoffrey Hill's /Broken Hierarchies: Poems
1952-2012/. Burrow notes that Hill was "a grammar-school-educated son of
a policeman from Bromsgrove, and so was not ever likely to be an
Eliotean Tory in a four-piece suit".

I was really puzzled by the "four-piece suit": Google does suggest that
the inclusion of a matching bow-tie can turn a three-piece suit into a
four-piece one, but I cannot imagine Eliot wearing such a monstrosity.
So I wrote to Burrow and he told me what I probably should have known,
that it was a joke, but not an original one, as he had stolen in from
Virginia Woolf. Woolf wrote to Clive Bell that she was always expecting
Eliot to turn up in a four-piece suit. I suppose the point of the joke
is that the fourth piece remains unspecified; Burrow admitted that he
had wondered if it could have been spats, while admitting that that
would have meant five pieces.

This somehow reminds me of the volume control in /This is Spinal Tap/
that goes up to 11.

Jeremy Hawthorn