[Vwoolf] Madge Vaughan "believed in her genius"

Mary Ellen Foley mefoleyuk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 13:23:52 EDT 2014

Quentin Bell says

Madge, who liked Virginia and "believed in her genius," was nevertheless
sensible of...
<<<

That's in vol 1, page 92, of the 1972 2-vols-in-1 paperback from
Harcourt/Harvest.  But there's no footnote to let us know where he got the
phrase or who said/wrote it.  The page has two block quotations from
Vanessa Bell's letters to Madge Vaughan, which have proper citations in the
end notes; I looked up those letters and the quoted phrase isn't taken from
them, unless I've got some kind of bizarre blind spot and couldn't see it
right in front of me.

Am I overlooking something tremendously obvious here?  Who's he quoting?

Mary Ellen

M.E.Foley
MEFoleyUK at gmail.com