[Vwoolf] Review of the National Portrait Gallery exhibit in Apollo magazine

Lauren Elkin laurenelkin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 02:29:07 EDT 2014

I saw the show last week and was captivated. I particularly enjoyed the
section on Woolf and public transport!

That said, there was a glaring, dismaying mistake in one of the captions.
Under a first edition of *Ulysses,* Harriet Shaw Weaver is identified as
the "owner of the Shakespeare & Company bookshop in Paris" who approached
the Hogarth Press about publishing the full book. Of course Weaver was the
editor of *The Egoist*, who serialized *Ulysses* and yes approached the
Woolfs. Sylvia Beach was the owner of Shakespeare & Company, who finally
published the book herself, at great personal expense, and as far as I know
had no dealings with the Woolfs or Hogarth.

Best wishes,
Lauren

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 8:16 AM, Mark Hussey <mhussey at verizon.net> wrote:

> Frances Spalding has done a wonderful job of creating a narrative through
> visual artefacts.  Those photos by Ott can actually be seen on the NPG
> website, I believe.  I was surprised by Mark Gertler’s painting of
> Koteliansky (‘Kot’): quite irrationally I had always imagined Kot as an
> ascetic and tiny man, but in this portrait he looks like a big burly
> businessman!  There are some real rarities in the show—the bound volumes of
> letters that Violet Dickinson returned to VW late in life; I had not ever
> known Violet annotated these (of course, under glass one can only see a
> page, but the prospect is tantalizing); also the actual Gestapo list on
> which L & VW’s names appear.  And yes, the catalog is very rich and
> interesting.  I am in London doing research for a biography of Clive Bell,
> so was lucky to be able to see this wonderful exhibition.

Dr. Lauren Elkin
@: twitter.com/LaurenElkin
web: www.laurenelkin.com
tel: +33 (0)6 73 65 38 01