[Vwoolf] Woolf and the middlebrow, from today’s New York Times

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 3 03:57:50 EDT 2014

I didn’t read this article carefully, but I couldn’t make any sense of it at all.  I don’t know where the author got this from:

“The nature of capitalism, we have been taught to believe, tends toward greater equality, wider opportunity and the leveling of archaic, invidious distinctions based on pedigree. Mr. Piketty throws cold water on this conventional wisdom, which has been part of the intellectual birthright of nearly everyone born in the West since the end of World War II.”

Is this some sort of “trickle down” effect, argued by -- is it Milton Friedman?

I suppose it’s appropriate that the article should have quoted Woolf’s “letter”, which, although not really difficult to understand (esp. ever since Melba Cuddy-Keane deconstructed it), is difficult to absorb because the reader tends to come at it with his/her own prejudices.  I came at the NYT article with my own prejudices, yet somehow I doubt that Melba will be able clarify it for me.

Stuart