[Vwoolf] Woolf's Loeb's

ANNE Fernald [Staff/Faculty [A&S]] fernald at fordham.edu
Wed Apr 16 17:41:25 EDT 2014

Good afternoon Woolfians,

I'm trying to fix a footnote and maybe you can help: my editor says that
she remembers reading somewhere that the Woolfs owned dozens (mabye more
than 100?) Loeb editions of the classics.

The library at WSU, which is by no means all of their books, only lists
one. (catalog here:
http://ntserver1.wsulibs.wsu.edu/masc/onlinebooks/woolflibrary/woolflibraryonline.htm
)

Does anyone have a citation that would confirm my/our hunch that the Woolfs
in fact owned many?

This is interesting for many reasons but in this instance because Woolf has
Septimus with a shelf of Loeb editions in an early draft of *Mrs. Dalloway*
and I want to underscore the point that Woolf is not sneering at him, but
admiring his attempt. She says as much in a review of the Loebs, but having
an account of how many she owned is another piece of information.

Thank you in advance,

Anne

--
Anne E. Fernald<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/faculty/english_faculty/anne_fernald_28537.asp>
Director of Writing/Composition at Lincoln Center,

212/636-7613
fernald at fordham.edu