[Vwoolf] Informal survey on teaching Eminent Victorians

Eleanor McNees Eleanor.McNees at du.edu
Fri Apr 4 19:49:25 EDT 2014

Dear Tom,

This just popped up on my computer as I'm contemplating leaving my office at 5:45 on a Friday! I work on Virginia Woolf and the Victorians and so am very familiar with Eminent Victorians, have taught it periodically over the years in graduate classes and referred to Strachey's satirical portraits in other classes as well always with the caveat that his views are somewhat exaggerated and, from my perspective, rather unfair. I think this may also be taught occasionally in genre classes which focus on biography, but to my knowledge no one else at DU, for example, teaches it, and I suspect most haven't read it. It isn't particularly well known today though I think it's still in print.

I'm curious about the editor's query to you?

Best regards,

Eleanor

Eleanor McNees
Associate Dean