[Vwoolf] Dalloway ballet

Kimberly Coates kimbec at bgsu.edu
Thu Apr 3 17:00:46 EDT 2014

Hi, Woolfians--

This is wonderful, Anne! In a letter to Virginia Woolf, dated April 22, 1925, Gwen Raverat wrote the following regarding Mrs. Dalloway: "But Mrs Dalloway is such a very good composition (in the painting sense). I like the way it works up to the end. The end is splendid. And the people are all alive. I didn't think they always were in your earlier books. But now the whole thing is alive and moving; it's like a ballet. That's what you meant, isn't it? All the movements in different directions both in time and space, going on at the same time." (see page 174 of the beautiful book Virginia Woolf & the Raverats: A Different Sort of Friendship. Edited by William Pryor.

Looking so forward to seeing you all in June!

Cheers,
Kim Coates

Kimberly Coates, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English
Affiliate Faculty Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies/American Culture Studies
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43403
Office Phone: 419-372-9189