[Vwoolf] Still on the early pages

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Wed Sep 18 03:55:32 EDT 2013

I think that MEF has something here. We used to get jays in our garden when I was a boy, but I can't have seen one in 40, probably 50 years. Nevertheless I remember them as a flash of multicoloured vivacity, like a dragonfly with the colours shifting in the sun with the movement. It's easy to single out individual colours in the RSPB illustrations, but less so when one is dancing about in front of you. And Scrope Purvis doesn't think that their call is light and vivacious, does he? On the other hand, I do find the "light" a bit odd, as my recollection is that they are a relatively large bird - bigger than a European blackbird or thrush.

A collocation that comes to mind is "chattering jay" - they are, again as I recall, very vocal birds. But flashy and a bit coarse perhaps - not how I imagine Clarissa!

Jeremy H