[Vwoolf] larks

Davis, Michael davismf at lemoyne.edu
Tue Sep 17 08:56:39 EDT 2013

I've always thought that both senses are in play here and (with regard to
the second sense of the bird) that George Meredith's poem "TheLark
Ascending " (which in turn inspired Ralph Vaughn Williams' 1921 composition
of the same title) is in the near background.  Of course the specificity of
the lark is that it has a sudden pattern of ascent (hence Meredith's title)
and so "what a lark, what a plunge" (if that's the right transcription)
establishes from  the outset the recurring  pattern of sudden
(emotional/psychological) rise and fall for the novel.

Michael F. Davis, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Associate Chair
Department  of English