[Vwoolf] Woolf "speeches"

ANNE Fernald [Staff/Faculty [A&S]] fernald at fordham.edu
Tue Oct 1 13:37:41 EDT 2013

Good afternoon, Woolfians,

One of my students this fall is an actress and she is taking a class on
political speeches. Inspired by our reading of *Mrs. Dalloway* and
"Professions for Women," she thought it would be fun to memorize and
recite/perform a speech by Woolf as part of her final project.

Alas, Woolf wasn't much of a speechwriter as you know, but I do think some
of her essays could be adapted for the purpose.

I'm thinking especially of "Professions for Women" and "Thoughts on Peace
in an Air Raid." I don't think "Craftsmanship" or "How Should One Read a
Book?" are sufficiently political.

Does anyone else have an idea of a short essay that could be adapted for
this purpose? Or, alternatively, of a great feminist speech from the period
that might inspire a young actress?

Thanks in advance,

Anne

--
Anne E. Fernald<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/faculty/english_faculty/anne_fernald_28537.asp>
Director of Writing/Composition at Lincoln Center,

212/636-7613
fernald at fordham.edu