[Vwoolf] Woolf Question

Maggie Humm M.Humm at uel.ac.uk
Thu Nov 21 11:14:19 EST 2013

Dear Karina

A good source is Carol Hansen's The Life and Death of Asham number 26 in the Bloomsbury Heritage Series published by Cecil Woolf.

The Vanessa Bell albums in the Tate Archive have photographs taken at Asheham specifically Album 2 pp. 8-23 and p. 34 onwards. I am not sure whether these photos show the house and garden per se.

I reproduced some photos taken at Asheham in Snapshots of Bloomsbury but these show only details of the house and garden in the background for example, windows etc. p. 72, p. 74 etc. p. 99 has the interior in the rather wonderful photo of Oliver Strachey, and p. 103 Julian against a window, p. 109 has a wall and windows in the rear of the photo etc.

Best of luck in your search!

Maggie