[Vwoolf] Lady Anne Clifford

ANNE Fernald [Staff/Faculty [A&S]] fernald at fordham.edu
Mon May 27 21:03:52 EDT 2013

I also suspect that she--or a dress she records herself as wearing--is a
source for Clarissa's mermaid-y dress in *Mrs. Dalloway.*  In her sparse
notes on *The Diary of Lady Anne Clifford,* which Woolf calls ‘a v. silly
book, mostly about dress & parties,’ Woolf notes what Lady Anne Clifford's
description of ‘my sea water green satin gown & my damask embroidered with
gold’ (*Berg RN19* 5).

Anne

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Stuart N. Clarke <
stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Yesterday, I re-visited Skipton.  Lady Anne Clifford, Countess of
> Pembroke, Dorset, and Montgomery (1590–1676), was born at Skipton Castle in
> Craven in the West Riding of Yorkshire.  She renovated Holy Trinity
> Church, Skipton, and restored the castle after the Civil War.
>

> See photos:
>

> https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=34efbc61c5dfb4e3&id=34EFBC61C5DFB4E3%21993&Bsrc=Photomail&Bpub=SDX.Photos&sff=1&authkey=!ADaAMv1JBdkXUeg
>

> And website:
>
> http://www.skiptoncastle.co.uk/index.asp?page=1
>

> She is a source for “Orlando”:
>
> http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/09612029500200096
>
> By the way, anyone who wishes to pursue n.80, a Yorkshire background for
> “Wuthering Heights”, will find Whitaker’s ch. here:
>
> http://www.skiptoncastle.co.uk/craven-history/25_Parish-of-Skipton.pdf
>

> See also “The Reader” in VW Essays VI (and a couple of refs in Vol. V).
>

> In July, in Appleby there will be a whole month of events dedicated to
> the Lady Anne Clifford:
>

> http://www.applebytown.org.uk/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=60&cntnt01returnid=57
>

> She is buried in St Lawrence, Appleby:
>
> http://www.achurchnearyou.com/appleby-st-lawrence
>

> Stuart

Anne E. Fernald<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/faculty/english_faculty/anne_fernald_28537.asp>
Director of Writing/Composition at Lincoln Center,
Associate Professor of
English<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/index.asp>and
Women's
Studies <http://www.fordham.edu/womens_studies>