[Vwoolf] 26 April 1897/2013

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Fri May 3 08:48:54 EDT 2013

Photos [in square brackets]:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=34EFBC61C5DFB4E3!944&authkey=!AM21NPLFd7Nrvjs
Quote from “A Passionate Apprentice”:

1897

Monday 26 April

We started on our famous Arundel expedition at 11.15 this morning. Adeline & Charlie went with us. It was very hot and dusty; for the first time this fortnight the wind was low and stuffy — What there was of it, kept at our backs — We rode most comfortably, dismounting at the hills, and allowing ourselves to look at primroses, and woods, regardless of so many miles an hour. At Worthing we had the pleasure of seeing the Duke of Cambridge opening the water works [1, 2] in the distance, surrounded by a body of guards — We had luncheon at Angmering, at the Horse & Groom [now Worlds End: 3, 4] — of eggs and bread and butter. A quiet sleepy little place, a swan sitting on its nest [5] — most peaceful after Brighton glare - We reached Arundel at about 3, and saw the castle — We mounted the keep [6, 7, 8], & were shown Cromwell's cannon balls, and the Empress Mauds bedstead [9] — together with some ancient stuffed owls [10]. The castle is all being hideously rebuilt [11] — but from the town in the valley the long line of black wall (the Castle) looks very solid & old [12] — trained back [to Hove] from Ford — 22 miles.