[Vwoolf] passing glances: Woolf in "Admission" (the new Tina Fey movie)

ANNE Fernald [Staff/Faculty [A&S]] fernald at fordham.edu
Thu Mar 21 17:00:35 EDT 2013

Woolfians,

My father calls my attention to this, in the review of "Admission" in
today's NYT<http://movies.nytimes.com/2013/03/22/movies/admission-starring-tina-fey-directed-by-paul-weitz.html?emc=eta1>
:

Meanwhile, Portia is defeated on the romantic battlefield, losing her
unbearably smug English-professor boyfriend (Michael Sheen, looking like a
tweedy, housebroken werewolf) to an aggressive and fertile Virginia Woolf
scholar (Sonya Walger).

That the phrase “Virginia Woolf scholar” is used several times as an
epithet and a punch line is evidence of the film’s unusually acute interest
in academic life and also, perhaps, of its ambivalence about feminism. It
turns out that “Admission,” adapted by Karen Croner from a novel byJean
Hanff Korelitz <http://www.jeanhanffkorelitz.com/>, is less concerned with
college than with the familiar, endlessly controversial predicament of
women who dare to have both careers and children.

Will Portia lean in? <http://leanin.org/> Opt
out?<http://www.buzzfeed.com/annanorth/why-the-opt-out-story-wont-die>
 Have it all?<http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/07/why-women-still-cant-have-it-all/309020/>

Anne
--
Anne E. Fernald<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/faculty/english_faculty/anne_fernald_28537.asp>
Director of Writing/Composition at Lincoln Center,

212/636-7613
fernald at fordham.edu