[Vwoolf] Public Libraries

Caroline Webb Caroline.Webb at newcastle.edu.au
Tue Jul 23 17:32:51 EDT 2013

Do the museums regularly dump their collections so they'll only carry
last year's artworks?

I am appalled at the closure of English public libraries, and would
protest if I lived there, but I take Stuart's point.  When I was in the
local library while staying in England a few years ago I was very
disappointed to see it was the same (or worse) as my local library here
in Australia--a good place to find any popular-fiction book first
published last year, almost certainly useless if you want to read
something more than three years old and/or not popular fiction.

Public libraries in their previous sense and purpose have already, in
effect, been closed.

Caroline

>>> Gregory Jordan Dekter <jdekter at gmail.com> 24/07/2013 2:33 am >>>
I suppose we should dismantle the museums and cathedrals while we're at
it.

On 23 July 2013 06:42, Stuart N. Clarke