[Vwoolf] Public Libraries

Jean Mills millsj7 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 16:01:59 EDT 2013

Stuart,

First continental theorist bashing, and now this!?! What has happened to
the "inner Common Reader" in you that I remember with such lurking fondness
from the yesteryears of the listserv?

For all others who remain steadfast in their allegiance to libraries, check
out Roomscape: Women Writers in the British Museum from George Eliot to
Virginia Woolf by Susan David Bernstein (EUP 2013). Although I'm not 100%
convinced by her position on Woolf, it's a first-rate study of the Reading
Room's significance on the writing lives of women.

Jean

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Gregory Jordan Dekter
<jdekter at gmail.com>wrote:

> I suppose we should dismantle the museums and cathedrals while we're at
> it.
>
> On 23 July 2013 06:42, Stuart N. Clarke <stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com>wrote:
>
>>   All this fuss about closing public libraries!  What are public
>> libraries for?  I’m not up to date with current librarianship thinking, but
>> they seem pretty useless to me.  When I first read Woolf’s essay on Parson
>> Woodforde in CR2, as a teenager in the 1960s, I went to Wimbledon Library
>> and got out one of his vols.  (Sorry, but I couldn’t get anywhere with
>> it.)  Look on the London Borough of Merton’s current online catalogue, and
>> there’s not a single vol. anywhere in the borough; 27 entries for the whole
>> of London.  I remember when there was a whole stack of music scores in the
>> Wim. Library.  Bet they’re not there now.  They might as well close them
>> all as far as I’m concerned.
>>
>> Rant over.
>>
>> Stuart

Jean Mills, Ph.D.