[Vwoolf] Public Libraries

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 23 06:42:59 EDT 2013

All this fuss about closing public libraries!  What are public libraries for?  I’m not up to date with current librarianship thinking, but they seem pretty useless to me.  When I first read Woolf’s essay on Parson Woodforde in CR2, as a teenager in the 1960s, I went to Wimbledon Library and got out one of his vols.  (Sorry, but I couldn’t get anywhere with it.)  Look on the London Borough of Merton’s current online catalogue, and there’s not a single vol. anywhere in the borough; 27 entries for the whole of London.  I remember when there was a whole stack of music scores in the Wim. Library.  Bet they’re not there now.  They might as well close them all as far as I’m concerned.

Rant over.