[Vwoolf] More of the Virginia Woolf Miscellany online...Issues 1, 5, 44, 58, 60 and 61 are now scanned and searchable.

Neverow, Vara S. neverowv1 at southernct.edu
Wed Jul 17 17:35:58 EDT 2013

Dear Woolfians,

Just as the Virginia Woolf Miscellany is about to celebrate its fortieth anniversary this fall, I have begun to work on making it possible to access to all past issues of the publication online.

For those of you not familiar with the history of Miscellany, the periodical was originally launched at Sonoma State University where it was published for almost thirty years under the auspices of J. J. Wilson, who, with Peggy Comstock, Rebecca Davison, Ellen Rogat, and Lucio Ruotolo, founded the publication. The publication transitioned to Southern Connecticut State University in Spring 2003.

I have begun the rather long, drawn-out process of the scanning by converting six issues of the Miscellany that were originally published in print format only in searchable PDFs. The accessibility of the material should be of good use to scholars and common readers alike—and to anyone interested in the history of the International Virginia Woolf Society as well. For example, the Miscellany pre-dated the founding of the Virginia Woolf Society--and now you can read online Morris Beja's account of the initial stages of the plan to launch a society (see "The Virginia Woolf Society: A Report" published in the VWM Summer 1976, Issue 5, page 6).  Similarly, Merry Pawlowski's special issue on Woolf and fascism (VWM 44 Fall 1994) offers an early contribution to the increasingly important discussion of Woolf and anti-Semitism (see for example the special topic in WSA 2013).

As of now, I have scanned only Issues 1, 5, 44, 58, 60 and 61 (for the record, Issue 60 is actually Issue 59, accidentally mis-numbered). I have almost all of the issues in hand in reasonably good condition, but to make the collection of online issues whole, I will need some generous Woolfians to contact me privately if they possess hard copies of Issues 2, 4, 25, 38 in their original print format, not a photocopy.

The issues listed above that I have already scanned can now be accessed at: http://www.home.southernct.edu/~neverowv1/VWM_Online_Fall1973_Fall2002.html.  And, of course, all issues published from Spring 2003 to the present are accessible in searchable PDF format online at: http://www.home.southernct.edu/~neverowv1/VWM_Online.html.

Happy reading!

Best,

Vara Neverow
Managing Editor, Virginia Woolf Miscellany