[Vwoolf] "The triumph of theory"

Mary Ellen Foley mefoleyuk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 18:52:38 EDT 2013

My mailing system indicates that there were lots of images in the messages
in this thread, but I couldn't see them, so please forgive me if I'm
missing something vital in what's been said because the illustration or
cartoon or whatever that accompanied the words didn't make it through!

Oh dear, it is so easy to make fun of the extreme-literates while the world
aorund us becomes a place where no one reads a book…etc. etc….I'd rather go
to a party where the colorful confetti of theory is raining down on my head
than be in a dull room of ---well, of *unchallenging* thought…?
<<<

I know this will sound brusque, and I don't mean it to, so please read the
following in a pleasant tone that suggests "perhaps it's worth thinking
about things differently", rather than as a sniping rejoinder.  Ready?
Okay, here we go --

Perhaps it's worth considering whether it's valid to lump those of us who
find theory to be a waste of effort with those who do not read books, those
who are dull, and those whose intellectual efforts are unchallenging...

Cheers,
Mary Ellen

M.E.Foley
MEFoleyUK at gmail.com