[Vwoolf] seeking references: Woolf (and modernism) as undoing the hiearchy of importance

Sunjoo Lee abgrund at naver.com
Fri Jan 25 01:25:33 EST 2013

Dear Woolfians,

Adorno in Minima Moralia says something that seems to define a key impulse of Woolf's (and modernist in general) literary project: "The division of the world into important and unimportant matters, which has always served to neutralize the key phenomena of social injustice as mere exceptions, should be followed up to the point where it is convicted of its own untruth."

There must have been many studies that argue this (Woolf/modernism as undoing the hierarchy of importance), and I seem to have read or heard about a number of them too, but somehow I can't really recall any specific title. Vicki Mahaffey in Modernist Literature: Challenging Fictions does something close to it in its early pages, but not extensively. Does any title come to your mind? I would be happy to have any suggestions about this!

With best wishes,
Sunjoo