[Vwoolf] Citation

Caroline Webb Caroline.Webb at newcastle.edu.au
Tue Jan 8 21:45:34 EST 2013

Dear Alice,

This sounds like a memory of "Professions for Women":

. . . I want you to imagine me writing a novel in a state of trance.  I want you to figure to yourselves a girl sitting with a pen in her hand, which for minutes, and indeed for hours, she never dips into the inkpot.  The image that comes to mind when I think of this girl is the image of a fisherman lying sunk in dreams on the verge of a deep lake with a rod held out over the water.  She was letting her imagination sweep unchecked round every rock and cranny of the world that lies submerged in the depths of her conscious being.  (Virginia Woolf, _Women and Writing_, ed. and introd. Michele Barrett, 61).
--and then as the line is running there is an explosion and foam as "the imagination had dashed itself against something hard" because she's been thinking something about the body that women are not allowed to say.

Regards,
Caroline
>>> Alice Lowe <alicelowe88 at yahoo.com> 9/01/2013 6:19 am >>>
Dear Woolfians,

In an essay in a literary journal that I recently read, the author starts off by saying: "Virginia Woolf once said that in waiting for ideas to come, she would open the top of her head and peer into the depths of her brain to see if the fish had started to rise." It sounds like something out of A Writer's Diary, with which I thought I was very familiar, but this one doesn't ring a bell & I'd love to find it. Can someone can help me?

Thanks,
Alice
www.aliceloweblogs.wordpress.com ( http://www.aliceloweblogs.wordpress.com/ )