[Vwoolf] 'a look of John Burrows'

ANNE Fernald [Staff/Faculty [A&S]] fernald at fordham.edu
Mon Jan 7 13:46:55 EST 2013

Good afternoon, Woolfians,

I'm combing through the final bits and bobs of my edition of Mrs. Dalloway
and I think I've found the source for "a look of John Burrows" (thanks to
the Oxford database of all its reference books, as multiple other tries
ended up blank):

It turns out that in Trollope’s *The Vicar of Bullhampton* (1870), John
Burrows is a notorious jailbird, also called ‘Jack the Grinder’, who is
convicted of the murder of Farmer Trumbull.

So, that seems right--a good shorthand way to indicate someone looks like a
career criminal while at the same time remaining in the bounds of what one
could say in Clarissa's drawing room.

That's the treat. Now, my query: does anyone have anything clever,
relevant, or interesting to add about Woolf on Trollope? I'd be most
grateful for your thoughts. Her words on him are few and I'm not turning up
much of enough significance to add to the footnote, except to say---what?
She knew his work but didn't particularly admire it? Well, duh....

All best to you in the New Year,

Anne

--
Anne E. Fernald<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/faculty/english_faculty/anne_fernald_28537.asp>
Director of Writing/Composition at Lincoln Center,

212/636-7613
fernald at fordham.edu