[Vwoolf] Leonard would have approved . . .

Suzanne Bellamy suzannebellamy at bigpond.com
Thu Aug 29 19:19:21 EDT 2013

Oh Stuart you always impress me but your reading list is a new high. I just love this list of yours.

   I don’t have a list as well organised but realise that I could probably construct one from my journals which I have kept continuously since 1973. I have already written an account of my first experiences with Woolf’s work and ideas in a chapter of the Eileen Barrett and Pat Cramer collection Lesbian Readings from 1998, called “The Pattern Behind the Words.”

 There was one skirmish with Mrs Dalloway at high school in the English Honours class, but alas nothing at University in the embers of the Leavisite dominated English Dept of Sydney University. The real ignition for me happened in the 1970’s in women’s liberation, and much influenced by my great friend the brilliant activist and intellectual Bessie Guthrie who had been Australia’s first woman publisher (modernist poets in the 20’s and 30’s) who worked with us on MeJane, Australia’s first women’s liberation newspaper (1971-74). Bessie Guthrie had read Woolf as the books appeared, had all the early editions and opened all this up to me as a young reader. She died in 1977 just after the first Diary came out. That was the biggest moment for me with Woolf, that diary. It pulled all the reading together. I then made two ABC Radio programmes on Woolf in 1979 and from then on was always engaged with her ideas and work.

   What fascinates me about the stories on the list is how we take the long journey, renewed by the originating texts and the great scholarship that keeps happening around them. Here I am decades later researching another young Australian woman Nuri Mass who discovered Woolf and wrote a wonderful 180,000 word thesis on Woolf’s novels in 1942 at Sydney University, corresponded with Leonard, had his interest, and then the war cut off all the possibilities for publication.

   All our stories matter.

   Suzanne Bellamy