[Vwoolf] Encountering Virginia Woolf

J. Wilson boxcar at sonic.net
Wed Aug 28 12:15:49 EDT 2013

Thanks, Karen and Vara, but if I am going to ³get credit² I should have some
skin in the game (gee, am I mixing metaphors here?) and tell my little (but
of course earthshaking to me) story:  growing up in the horrible l950s, I
had never heard of V. Woolf until, seeking relief from my secretarial job at
the Bank of America by taking a creative writing course at night, I got a
note on the bottom of one of my leaden Dickensian short stories from
Professor Foff:  ³You might want to read some Virginia Woolf so that you can
see that prose can be winged too.²  (Alas, he committed suicide so I could
never thank him for his advice.)

It was difficult in those benighted days even to find her books, but at the
Discovery Bookstore in North Beach I did find a used copy of the paperback
containing both Jacob¹s Room and The Waves, a perfect pairing for me.  As
one consequence, I left the secretarial position (paying ³pin money² of $350
a month!) and entered graduate school in literature (my undergraduate degree
had been in political science).  As another, I never tried to write another
short story!

J.J. Wilson, the lucky