[Vwoolf] Encountering Virginia Woolf

Neverow, Vara S. neverowv1 at southernct.edu
Wed Aug 28 14:38:06 EDT 2013

J. J. Wilson started the thread. It's wonderful!

Vara Neverow

From: "A.M. Lindsey" <amtonyan at gmail.com<mailto:amtonyan at gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:34 PM
Cc: VWOOLF listserv <vwoolf at lists.service.ohio-state.edu<mailto:vwoolf at lists.service.ohio-state.edu>>
Subject: Re: [Vwoolf] Encountering Virginia Woolf

Oh, this is fun! I first encountered Woolf when I was a young kid; I found a box of 30 copies of A Room Of One's Own and another 30 of A Haunted House (and other stories) in our basement. I asked my dad, the English teacher, how this came to be, and was told that the high school had stopped teaching the books. He was hoping to bring at least one of them back into the curriculum. Well, he was the only "honors" English teacher for twelfth graders, so when I took his class, A Room of One's Own did make it back into the syllabus! For a girl growing up in a rural small town, preparing to head to Barnard College in a year, it was a very big deal not only to read it, but to show my peers that my "crazy" plan to go to this strange thing called a women's college had, in fact, been quite unremarkable, for quite a long time. They still thought it was a crazy plan, but AROO in school completely renewed my excitement about moving to a place where such conversations would be common place.

Anne-Marie