[Vwoolf] First Encounters with Virginia on Blogging Woolf

Joanne Frye JFRYE at wooster.edu
Tue Aug 27 17:49:50 EDT 2013

It looks like Roberta and I were relatively unusual as students in the 1960s who first encountered Virginia Woolf in a college classroom; there I, too, met Mrs. Dalloway and wrote my first paper on Woolf.  I can't quite say it was love at first sight, as it apparently was for so many among us, but I was decidedly intrigued by the complexity of structure, the rendering of intersecting consciousnesses, the beautiful language.  Knowing that I wanted to continue to study modernist fiction, I went on to graduate school, took a seminar focused on Woolf, and wrote my dissertation on her novels, trying to rise to the difficult task of "analyzing" the ineffable.  By then it was love, and Woolf has continued to haunt my consciousness for the 39 years since I completed that dissertation.

The classroom I most yearn to return to since retirement is the Woolf course that I taught every two or three years throughout my 33 years of teaching.  No matter how often I read, reread, and taught Woolf's amazing novels, I felt a new excitement each time I entered that classroom. Students tell me that they hear her words in my voice (which both pleases and horrifies me) but I could never resist reading those beautiful flowing passages aloud, especially the endlessly resonant To the Lighthouse. And I loved seeing the novels in their ever-new complexities as students read them through their own lives and experiences, through loves of their own. I also took real pleasure in teaching Three Guineas in an upper level interdisciplinary seminar in Women's Studies--probing the complex insights into the intersections of masculine power structures and a culture of war, hoping that students would join me in resisting the power structures in which we are all immersed.

Most recently, when I wrote and published my memoir of those years (Biting the Moon: A Memoir of Feminism and Motherhood), I continued to hear Woolf's voice, echo her words, celebrate her luminous prose as best I could in my own struggles to find words for difficult meanings.  And I returned to the ongoing insight: throughout my life as student and as teacher, I have learned to see the world and to hear language in ever-new ways through my reading of Woolf. I join the chorus: thank you, Virginia. And thanks to the Woolf list for prompting so many wonderful reflections.

Joanne Frye